Loose Fitting Dentures May Result In Oral Pain, Malnutrition And Unhealthy Weight Loss
Do you are your loved one wear dentures? If you or your loved one is suffering from loose dentures NYC offices can’t help you with, there is a convenient way to have them repaired at home. One of the most common problems for denture wearers is ill-fitting or loose fitting dentures, which may cause serious health problems. If dentures are too tight, don’t fit comfortably or are too loose they may cause the following problems:
- Person modifies diet and eats only soft foods like soup and desserts which may lead to malnutrition
- Malnutrition lowers the body’s natural ability to fight off infections, and can cause loss of muscle strength and reduce bone strength.
- Ill or loose fitting dentures may rub up against the gums and create a callus, also known as epulis which requires oral surgery to remove.
Fixing Loose Dentures NYC Involves…
Natural changes in the gums and jaw can happen over time, like the shrinking of the bone below the gums which may create problems with the fit of dentures. Regardless of what is causing ill fitting or loose fitting dentures, there are three common methods for fixing loose fitting dentures
- Relining. A liquid acrylic molds the denture closely to shape of the gums.
- Recasting. The dentures can be re-made to get a better fit.
4 Tips for Denture Care
- Don’t use regular toothpaste on dentures because they are too abrasive and can damage dentures.
- Mild dishwashing liquid may be used if denture cleaners are not available
- When brushing, remember to brush the gums, tongue and palate to keep potential irritants clear before putting in dentures.
- Always store dentures in a denture container with water to keep moist, they should never get dry because that may change the shape and fit of the dentures.
- Dentures should be kept in a safe place as they are delicate and can break easily if dropped just a few inches.
Dr. Kaufman, a top 25 dentist in the U.S.,understands that each patient is unique and may have various health problems or mobility issues. Asking questions and sharing concerns about geriatric dental care is valued and encouraged. Dr. Kaufman has over 30 years experience in dentistry and is the geriatric house call dentist in Manhattan, for more information about loose dentures NYC residents need help with, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today!